Home | Projects | Donate | About | Key Supporter | Contact
making your giving count

Gift Aid FAQs

If you Gift Aid your donation,The Scrivener Trust will receive an additional 25p for every pound you give because we can claim Gift Aid tax relief of 25p on every pound you give.


How can I sign up for Gift Aid?

All you need do is complete our online gift-aid form

How does Gift Aid work?

The Government wants to support charities. So we simply reclaim the basic rate tax you have already paid on your donation from HM Revenue and Customs. There is no extra cost to you and the process is simple - all you have to do is make a Gift Aid declaration.

What is a Gift Aid declaration?

It is simply a statement by an individual taxpayer that they want a charity to claim from HM Revenue and Customs the tax that's already been paid on their donation. It's a great way to add 25 per cent to the value of your gift without it costing you a penny more!

Can I make a Gift Aid declaration?

Yes, you can if you have paid enough Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax to cover the amount we will reclaim in the tax year (from 6 April to 5 April of the following year).However, Inheritance Tax, Council Tax and VAT do not qualify towards Gift Aid. You pay these taxes if any one of these apply to you:

  1. Income Tax is taken from your wages or salary before you receive your pay
  2. you pay tax after filling in a self-assessment form each year
  3. you have any taxable savings (in a Building Society, for instance), or a pension plan, or investment income
  4. you have paid any Capital Gains Tax, for exampl on the sale of a property or some shares.

What does the Gift Aid declaraton commit me to?

It's like an extra gift! If you have already paid tax on your donation, you are allowing us to claim that tax back from the Government. But you must have paid Income or Capital Gains Tax on every £1 you give to charity in any financial year.

You can cancel your Gift Aid declaration at any time. All we ask is that you let us know if you cease to pay enough Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax to cover the amount we will claim back on the donations you make. We also ask that you let us know if you change your name and/or address


What if I don't pay UK tax?

Then, unfortunately, you are not able to make a Gift Aid declaration. If you want us to make a note of this on your records, please let us know by contacting us in one of the following ways:


Why is it 25p?

Although basic rate tax is currently 20 per cent, the donation for £1 is treated as the net after tax from £1.25 (£1.25 minus 20 per cent is approximately £1). We claimback the 25 pence.


What if I'm a pensioner?

You may still pay tax on a private pension plan or a savings account, or pay Capital Gains Tax if you sell property or shares. If this is the case, please tick the Gift Aid declaration.


What if I pay higher rate tax?

We can only directly claim back at the basic rate but please complete and return the declaration. As a higher rate taxpayer, if you declare your donations on your tax return, you can claim a rebate based on the difference between the higher rate and the basic rate when you fill in your self-assessment form.


What if I pay lower rate tax?

If you pay a lower rate (10 per cent or 20 per cent), we can still claim back 25p for each £1 you donate, provided you pay enough tax to cover the claim in the tax year you make the gift(s).


What if I make my donations via the CAF (Charities Aid Foundation)?

If you normally make donations via CAF, tax has already been reclaimed. However, please fill in the declaration anyway so that any separate donations you might make are tax effective as well.


What about Raffle Tickets?

Purchases such as raffle tickets are not treated by HM Revenue and Customs as donations and so the Gift Aid declaration does not apply to them. However, please fill in the declaration to cover any additional or separate donations.


Can Gift Aid be applied to Sponsorship and Sports Events?

Yes, in most cases - please see sponsorship forms for more details. If you are being sponsored or sponsoring someone else, for example someone running the London Marathon, please Gift Aid eligible contributions. Remember that each sponsor needs to include their home address and postcode to enable us to reclaim the tax.


How long does my Gift Aid declaration last?

Until you tell us to stop! To simplify matters for both you and us, the declaration wording normally covers past, present, and future donations. We can back-claim four years and we will continue to claim until you tell us otherwise, so long as you are eligible.


Who will have access to this information about me?

Only The Scrivener Trust and HM Revenue and Customs. We will not share it with anyone else.


What should I do if my tax status changes, or I want to cancel my Gift Aid declaration?

Please let us know by contacting us in one of the following ways:

  • Email: trustees@scrivenertrust.org
  • Write to us at:
  • The Scrivener Trust
    71B St Thomas Street
    Wells, Somerset BA5 2UY

Last updated: 18th November 2012



The Scrivener Trust - helping people in need